Saturday, May 06, 2006

Just doesn't make sense, does it?

I applaud Patrick Kennedy (D-RI) for what he did and said on friday. Well, partly anyways. He admitted he has a drug problem and said he will be entering the Mayo Clinic. For this I applaud him. However, there are just too many holes in this story.

At the press conference, Kennedy said he does not remember any part of the early Thursday morning accident, even though he told reporters earlier he had not asked for special treatment when police found him. Interesting.

"I simply do not remember getting out of bed, being pulled over by the police, or being cited for three driving infractions. That's not how I want to live my life, and it's not how I want to represent the people of Rhode Island."

He went on to say: "I am deeply concerned about my reaction to the medication.... I know that I need help."

So, either he had a bad reaction to the medicine, which cause all of this OR he's addicted to the drugs, but took them anyways. This is where the problem is, he's somewhere in between. On one hand he says that it was just an accident, but on the other hand he says he has a drug problem. If that is the case, which he says, then he surely was not just sleep driving as he claims. He knew he had a problem, yet got in the car anyways. This is all presuming he wasn't drinking, which it seems is not true. His story is just full of conflictions.

This begs the other question, even if he was not given a DWI for the presence of alcohol, why has he not been given a DUI? He was under the influence, whether that was drugs or alcohol. From my understanding, anyone else would have at least been cited for Driving Under the Influence (even if it was just prescriptions).

Reports are saying that Kennedy was seen at a Washington bar before the crash.

Anyways, it would just be nice if this story got the same lip service as the Cheney accident, although this seems far worse to me. Cheney's I could see being an accident. Even if he was sleep driving, clearly he knew he had a problem and did nothing about it before this happened.

Oh well, such is life with a liberal media.

Posted in: Patrick Kennedy, Cheney, Drunk driving, DWI

1 Comments:

At 6:16 PM, Blogger Sudiegirl said...

Hi...normally I don't visit too many political blogs, but I saw yours and wanted to comment.

I read PJ Kennedy's statement too, and there's so much that either side can read into it. Personally? I am also bipolar like Mr. Kennedy, and no mention was made as to whether Kennedy was taking meds to control his mood swings. That doesn't always make a difference to people, especially if their urge to walk the edge is so strong that they'll just say, "Fuggedaboutit" and throw the meds over their shoulder, doing what they want.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that being bipolar can be tricky. Sometimes the "paradox effect" occurs, meaning meds have the opposite effect than they're supposed to. Other times, certain meds just are a bad combination for us (steroids, certain anesthetics, etc). Nobody has mentioned what kind of treatment he is under for bipolar (I know they probably can't divulge the med types without permission), but meds DO cross-react.

I'm not sure what to make of all this, but if he's truly bipolar, addiction is something that's - shall we say - not unfamiliar to us. It may also run in the family, which might explain his dad's behavior too.

Anyway...just my two cents.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home