Tuesday, May 30, 2006

How could anyone vote for this lady?

Have ya heard about Hillary Clinton’s latest brilliant idea? She says that the maximum speed limit should be 55 MPH around the country. Doesn’t matter what kind of highway, large or small, between big cities or within them. Everyone should only be allowed to drive 55.

The reason for this? To save gas. Haha, ridiculous.

First of all, let me say that I am in favor of not raising speed limits and maybe even lowering them. I hardly ever drive over the speed limit, mostly to save on gas and be safer.

However, I have several problems with her statement. First, does she realize how many lives the slower speed limit would save? Oh, but nevermind that, she’s only worried about the gas.

Secondly, if she really wants to save gas, how about she give up her plane? Oh, but she’s a member of congress, she has to get places, right? Give me a damn break.

It just seems ridiculous that she can stand up there on her damn high horse flying in her plane, telling us minions that we should drive slower to save gas.

I hate that woman, and she certainly will not be getting my vote in ‘08.

2 Comments:

At 10:21 AM, Blogger David said...

See, now it just doesn't make any sense to endorse a woman just because it would piss off republicans. I expect more of you tony, although I believe you are at least slightly kidding.

"do you think the limit should be reduced and are just mad that she didn't mention saving lives?"
--Yes, exactly. Recently they raised the speed limit on the highway near my house to 65. Not all that long ago it was 55. When they raised it to 60, the cops were all sayin "well, if you're even a little bit over the limit, you're going to get pulled over." At 55, they gave you a bit of a cushion. Well, now that highway is just ridiculous. People drive 70, 80, even 90 or more on there all the damn time. And it's not like I live in the country, this is a 10 damn lane highway not all that far from the city. It just pisses me off, not just because of gas wasted, but also safety.

So, yes, my point is that she only focused on how much gas it could save, when she herself doesn't give a rats ass how much gas she uses.

Yeah, I'm pretty proud of my car/driving. I drive a little 04 cavalier. It's about the most stripped down car you can get, but it does have AC (which I try not to use to much to save gas). It's a stick, and its rated at 37 mpg I think. Well, on my last tank I got 38 due to careful and slow driving. Only about 2/3 of that tank was highway, the rest being short street driving. So, that's pretty damn good.

Yeah, people with hummers piss me off to no end. First of all, I think they're freaking stupid because they're no longer used as they were originally intended. If people would just use cars as they're supposed to be used (i.e. don't buy a damn truck if you never use/need the bed) then we could save a hell of a lot of gas.

Indeed, conservation and making smart choices is one of the only short term things the average consumer can do.

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger David said...

Have you seen Mythbusters? They actually did this myth.

Here's what they found. I think they tested SUV's at around 60mph. They drove two of the exact same cars, each with exactly 5 gallons of gas in them. One with the windows down and AC off, the other with the windows up and AC on. They found the windows down w/o AC went farther.

But that probably doesn't totally answer the question. As you increase in speed, wind resistance and friction increase exponentially. This is why driving faster wastes so much gas.

So, yes, there is probably some speed at which it would be beneficial to roll up the windows and turn on the AC. My guess is that on an average car that speed is at least 100mph. At that speed you're wasting so much damn gas anyways that the AC probably doesn't matter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home