Monday, September 12, 2005

Smoking and cancer

As I was reading USA Today earlier, I found out that at least 30% of all cancer deaths are caused by smoking!!!! In a time when we know how terrible smoking is for you, and that, well, it WILL KILL YOU, why do people continue to do it? I'll tell ya what, if chewing gum was found to cause cancer I sure as hell wouldn't be chewing it anymore, even if it was only a couple percent of the cancer deaths. But no, smoking is OVER 30%. It just doesn't make sense to me. Yes yes, I know it's probably hard to quit, but don't you think your health as well as the health of those around you would be worth spending a few days (or weeks, or months) quitting?

2 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess some people would rather live on terms that make the little time on this earth more enjoyable than worry about what vices are gonna kill them. Im not saying smoking is the right thing to do, hell I don't even smoke, I just figure you let people do what makes them happy, without trying to suck the joy out of their lives.
p.s. if wearing shorts with crew cut socks was found to cause cancer, would you stop doing it? it at least is like cancer on a sex life.

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger David said...

Well, and thats their own perogative. The problem I have with smokers is when I must smell the nasty cancer causing smoke that exits their lungs. And who in the hell said the world is their trash can? When's the last time a cop wrote a littering ticket for someone throwing a cigarette out of their car window.
And, yes, if that was found to cause cancer youre damn right i'd stop doing it, even if my wearing of those socks did not affect other people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home